AirPhysio User's Guide
We recommend studying the User’s Guide for Detailed instructions, product description, and maintenance requirements before use.
How to use AirPhysio
How to Use the AirPhysio Device
- Take a deep breathe (abdominal breath) into your lungs and fill them completely,
- Hold your breathe for 2 to 3 seconds,
- Place the AirPhysio device into your mouth and exhale through the device at a reasonably fast, but consistent pace for between 3-5 seconds until you empty your lungs. i.e. don’t try and blow too hard too quickly as this may cause you to over exert your lung muscles and leaving you feeling tight in the chest, so take it easy and don’t push too hard.
- Most people can get it oscillating without too much exertion, but some people struggle to start with. But once your lungs are at optimal lung capacity, you should be able to lift the ball bearing slightly off the cone and have it oscillating.
- Adjust the device to have the cap facing the ceiling and tilt it until you feel maximum vibrations within your chest, try to keep cheeks stiff to help amplify the affect in your chest.
- After exhaling through the device, you may feel mucus accumulating near the top of your lungs or at the back of your throat, if so, initiate a cough to expel the mucus. If not, the mucus will continue working up to the throat and maybe swallowed as a normal process.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 for approx. 2 times per minute for up to 5 minutes, taking two deep breaths in between each session to reduce the chance of feeling lightheaded.
You can use AirPhysio after taking aerosol medication to improve the distribution and effectiveness of the medication.
Breathing Exercise for Healthy Individuals
Do the following steps before initiation of exercise or training.
- Relax and assume proper posture and position.
- Slowly inhale beyond a normal breath, but do not fill the lungs completely.
- Hold breath for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Place AirPhysio in mouth, exhale through AirPhysio at a reasonably fast but not too forceful speed, using abdominal breathing. Do not empty the lungs completely.
- Adjust tilt to feel maximum vibrations within the chest and keep cheeks stiff.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 for 5 to 10 breaths.
This exercise may make you feel lightheaded. This is normal due to the amount of carbon dioxide being exhaled.
When you feel lightheaded, take a break and breathe normally until the lightheaded feeling passes. If you try to overexert and push yourself too far, there is a chance that you may pass out and lose consciousness.
Clean AirPhysio after each therapy session and store in a clean, dry location.
Parts & Accessories
AirPhysio consists of the following parts and accessories:
- Circular cone
- Stainless steel ball
- Child-resistant protective cover
- Mouthpiece and base
- Mouthpiece cap
AirPhysio is available in different steel ball sizes that allow individualized treatment according to age and tolerance of the consumer to airway resistance.
Small-sized steel ball provides less expiratory resistance and is ideal for children, as well as adults with low lung capacity, severe respiratory conditions or weak respiratory muscles (i.e. elderly and spinal cord injury patients).
Regular-sized steel ball is best for healthy, active individuals and adults with mild to moderate respiratory conditions.
How to Unlock the Child-Resistant Protective Cover
There are two windows to the device. Feel for a tiny raised spike above the window of one side. This spike indicates the correct side of the child safety latch that will need to be depressed.
With the clear cap to the top and pointed away from you, place device down on a hard surface.
Then, place a pointy object, such as a pen, into the right-hand side of the window to depress the child safety latch. Then lift the device and twist the cap 0.3” anti-clockwise.
Pull clear cap away from the device body.
How to clean AirPhysio Device
For Single-Patient Use of AirPhysio
- It is necessary to clean the AirPhysio® device after each session to remove moisture and/or mucus from the internal components.
- Disassemble your AirPhysio® device. Please refer to Parts and Accessories and How to Unlock the Child-resistant Protective Cover before disassembling the device.
- Wash in a solution of tap water and mild soap or detergent.
- Rinse all components with tap water.
- Wipe with a clean towel.
- Reassemble and store in a clean, dry location.
A more vigorous cleaning is recommended at least once a day. Do the following to accomplish this:
- Wipe or rinse the already-cleaned components in an alcohol solution (ethyl or isopropyl alcohol) with a 60-90% concentration.
AirPhysio Instruction Inserts
AirPhysio can be used as an adjunctive therapy to prevent pulmonary complications in patients after surgery (i.e. cardiac and abdominal surgeries). The use of AirPhysio facilitates secretion mobilization, prevents atelectasis, and increases lung volume of patients postoperatively.
More About AirPhysio
AirPhysio is short for Airway Physiotherapy and helps in the removal of mucus and lung expansion, assisting in the maintenance of optimal lung hygiene and maximum lung capacity.
The AirPhysio device is an International Award Winning Product and AirPhysio is a National Award Winning Company.